No one can really understand the bond between humans and animals until they’ve experienced that bond for themselves. Our pets bring us joy every day and ask for very little in return. That’s why it’s so devastating when our pets are sick or injured. If you suspect your pet may have been poisoned, taking the right steps can mean the difference between life and death.

 

Our veterinary team at Normandale Vet Hospital in Edina put together this blog post to help you keep your pet safe if they come into contact with poison. Follow this advice if you suspect your pet may have been exposed to something poisonous.

 

Pets and Poison

The best way to prevent poison-related injury in your pets is to keep anything poisonous out of reach and put away. Some pets are naturally curious or mischievous, especially young pets who get into everything. But even if you try to keep everything in your home puppy-proof or kitty-proof, your pet may still come into contact with dangerous elements.

 

If your pet displays any of these symptoms, he or she may have come into contact with poison:

 

●        Extreme thirst

●        Diarrhea/vomiting

●        Coughing

●        Heavy drooling

●        Loss of consciousness

 

What to Do if Your Pet Gets into Poison

Whether you observed your pet getting into something you know is toxic or you strongly suspect they’ve been poisoned, there are a few steps you can take to help them survive. Before you do anything else, make sure you don’t panic. Keeping a cool head will help you stay in control of the situation and focus on what you need to do to help your buddy survive. It will also help your pet to remain calmer as you get help.

 

Follow these steps:

 

1.      DO NOT Try to Induce Vomiting. For pets and people, the first instinct you may have in case of ingesting a poison is to think that throwing up will remove the toxin from their system. However, inducing vomiting might actually make things worse. By the time you’ve noticed their behavior, the toxin is already in their system, which means vomiting won’t necessarily help.

2.      Gather the Substance if Possible. If you’re aware of the source of poison, you should gather any containers and bring them to the veterinary clinic. Please exercise caution while interacting with any toxins.

 

3.      Gather any Specimens. If you didn’t see what your pet was exposed to, try to collect the pet’s bodily fluids for analysis at the animal clinic. By analyzing these specimens, our veterinarians can determine the right approach to help your pet.

 

4.      Transport Your Pet to the Veterinary Hospital. Contact our veterinary hospital right away. Place your pet in a crate or travel kennel and transport her to us immediately so we can begin life-saving efforts right away. If it’s outside of our hours, call our answering service and we’ll refer you to a local emergency vet.

 

Contact Your Edina Veterinary Care Team for Poison Treatment

If you’re worried about keeping your pet safe from toxins and accidental ingestion, it’s a good idea to speak with your veterinary medical and surgical care experts. We’ll help you create a pet-proofing plan to help reduce the chance of a pet emergency like storing solvents in off-limits areas and removing access to people food.

 

To discuss your pet’s veterinary care needs, call our office at 952-831-8272. You can also visit our contact page to schedule an appointment for vaccinations or grooming.